School Memorial Park - Port Wing, Wisconsin
In 1902 the "Big White School" was built on the site of today's School Memorial Park along Highway 13. Port Wing is considered to be the first to be consolidated, offering free transportation to rural students riding to school in horse-drawn covered wagons and sleighs in winter.
Classes were conducted in this beautiful building until May, 1977. In the fall of 1978 students were attending school in a new building in town.
The old building had to be dismantled, however the belfry was preserved and is permanently mounted in the center of School Memorial Park on the old school grounds.
Today the Park and surrounding area features the Heritage Hall Museum, the Old Jail and Booth Building, as well as a playground, picnic areas, historic displays of and early mail wagon and replicas of and early school wagon & sleigh, and the Old School Memorial Bell Tower.
There is a veteran's memorial, memorial benches, and public restrooms available in the adjacent Old Fire Hall